Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Music-related

1. I just bought tickets to Day 2 of the Treasure Island Music Festival on September 21. With service charges, they're like $80 apiece! Jesus Christ! Anyway, here's the lineup for that day:

THE RACONTEURS * TEGAN & SARA * VAMPIRE WEEKEND * SPIRITUALIZED OKKERVIL RIVER * THE KILLS * TOKYO POLICE CLUB * DR.DOG * John Vanderslice * The Dodos * Fleet Foxes

Sorry for all the weird caps and the stars; I cut & pasted. Anyway, I'm a big yes on Vampire Weekend, Spritualized, definitely Okkervil River, and Vanderslice. I sort of like what I've heard of The Dodos, The Kills, and Tokyo Police Club. I'm eh on the Raconteurs and Tegan & Sara. And I don't know anything about Dr. Dog or the Fleet Foxes. Anyone?

Okkervil River put on one of the best rock shows I've ever seen, last year at the Independent. It'll be interesting to see them in the big festival setting. I'm having a hard time picturing Spiritualized outside. They just seem like a dark-room band. I saw them at Bimbo's a few years back and their entire stage show consisted of FLASHING STROBE LIGHTS DIRECTLY AT THE AUDIENCE. If you weren't an epileptic when the show started, you sure were when it was over. My vision still hasn't recovered.

Now, two of my associates attended last year and gave the festival about a C+, but that may have had to do with the lineup (which wasn't nearly as good last year), so I'm not going to get scared off by that. Cool image of last year's festival from Under the Radar mag. Fuck, it's going to be hella crowded, isn't it? Maybe I should have thought this through.

2. I'm still working my way through the mixes I got at the mix exchange and I'll post some of the finds from that later.

3. Everyone in Ireland was gaga over Hot Chip, but honestly, it doesn't do much for me. What am I missing?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That sounds like a good lineup! Much better than last year's festival. Bring a flask, unless you happen to like paying eight bucks for a Heineken.