Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A few scenes from my weekend

FRIDAY

Happy hour, Hemlock, Polk Street. I thought it was a mix of some kind, but it's actually a DJ. Holy shit, he is playing some great stuff. Is that Rival Schools? Who ever plays Rival Schools? And Minor Threat? Heh, that's awesome.

There's one of those guys here with the loud barking laugh, though. Everything has its price.

Dinner, Darbar. What do you mean, they don't have alcohol? Oh, OK, whatever. It was fine. Not good enough to justify going there without alcohol.

Back to the Hi-Lo Club. Drinks are good, but it's more crowded and more, I don't know, Russian Hill-y now. There's a guy there with a backwards baseball cap, so I guess that's it for Hi-Lo Club.

SATURDAY

In our quest to have brunch at every place you can have brunch in the Presidio, we're at Presidio Social Club for brunch. Wow, I guess this is where you take your parents and/or infants for brunch. We're the only couple without a couple of olds or a baby attached. Good bloody mary. I made a mistake ordering veal and eggs for brunch. I mean, nothing wrong with veal, but it's a little rich for noon on Saturday. Everything was fine and I'd come back again if I had a baby or some old people who wanted to eat brunch.

9 pm, The Independent where a couple of friends of mine are in a band called Halsted that's opening the night. They sound great. The next band is These United States, who I've heard a few songs by but who are much better live than recorded. I think. I might have just been drunk at that point.

SUNDAY

It was nice and sunny out, so I spent the afternoon at the Gold Cane with Periqueblend. At one point, a couple of guys tried to get hippie with some acoustic guitars, so Day Bartender Jason leapt over the bar and filled the jukebox with Guided by Voices at high volume. It worked. The Gold Cane is a Safe Place.

Do anything fun?

4 comments:

Nikki said...

The trick to Darbar is getting the food as take out and then going to Pour House with it. They let you bring food in since they don't serve anything substantial.

TK said...

That's a really good idea, actually. Hey, did Pour House use to be something else? I've never been in there.

Tamagosan said...

No BYOB at Darbar? Sad times.

The Gold Cane definitely a Safe Place, except I always see people from high school in there, which is sometimes quite Unsafe...

Weekend? NSFW, alas...

Nikki said...

I'm not sure what was there before but it's only a year or two old. It's pretty small but they have a decent beer/wine selection and a TV so it works.