Friday, March 1, 2013

I may be finally getting too old for this shit

When you get to my advanced age, some things, while still logistically possible, are no longer as compelling as they used to be, like camping or threesomes.  After last night, I fear that going to see live music - once a staple part of my life - may slowly be sliding into the sinkhole of oldmandom.

So last night I went to a Noise Pop show, as I try to do every yearThis one was at Brick & Mortar and featured Free Energy, who I really like, Warm Soda, In the Valley Below, and Miner.  I hadn't yet been to B&M (in its current incarnation, anyway - the space used to be Levende Lounge, and before that Butterfly, the restaurant, and I've been drunk at both of those places) and it's fine.  It looks exactly like the old restaurants that used to be there, minus the tables.

HERE COMES THE BITCHING.  Doors 8/Show 9.  Now, that's fine if there are 2 or even 3 bands, but when you have 4 bands on the bill, that's just fucking ridiculous.  There is no reason you shouldn't start a 4-band show at 8.  I don't want to skip ahead and spoil the ending, but I had to go at 11:20 and the 3rd band was still in the middle of their set.  I mean, it's great and all if you don't have to work the next day, but on a Thursday it's just not cool.  I saw Free Energy a few years ago at Pitchfork so it's not the end of the world but still.  I mean, I used to BE in a band and if we had to go on after midnight, I would probably leave.

MORE BITCHING.  It's too crowded.  People talk through all the bands.  That didn't bother me this time as much as usual because I wasn't really here to see anyone in particular other than Warm Soda and they were so loud it didn't matter.  They were pretty great, too, at least the half of their set I got to see.  Here's a sample.  Fun music.  BUT YOU'RE NOT OFF THE HOOK WARM SODA.  My show companion, and to a lesser extent I, were maybe interested in buying Warm Soda's album.  But in a colossal fuck you to potential customers, IT'S ONLY AVAILABLE ON VINYL.  Oh Christ how pretentious can you get.  I know, I know, Vinyl Purists, it's the best sound and whatever but the fact is these days 90% of people don't own a turntable.  They don't even have it for sale online.  So way to lose potential sales there, Warm Soda.  (Also, you need a new sound person.  The music was great but the mix was terrible.)

THERE ARE SOME GOOD PARTS THOUGH.  I had never heard of first band Miner but even though their sound is pretty much a complete lift of the Mumford/Edward Sharpe/Lumineers thing that the kids are so crazy about these days, it was still perfectly enjoyable.  I enjoyed it.  It didn't hurt that the band included a multi-instrumentalist/singer chick who was like MODEL GORGEOUS in her willowy Anthropologie way.  Here's a sample, although this wasn't really one of my favorite songs they played:


So I guess the takeaway is that maybe I should just go to shows that start at 7 and have seating.  Maybe the B-52s will play the Mountain Winery!  Fuck me.

8 comments:

GG said...

The late starts thing really bothers me. I boycotted The Independent for over a year once after their last straw was starting a headliner after midnight on a Tuesday. They've since gotten their act together. But yeah, not only do people have lives, but even if you don't have to work in the morning you probably don't want to sit through 3 opening bands you don't care about. Bottom line: There should never be 4 bands on a bill to begin with, and the headliner should always finish by midnight, unless it's some electronica act playing SOMA where everyone's going to be up all night doing coke anyway.

TL;DR: Totally agree and thank you for giving voice to one of my big pet peeves.

TK said...

GG - For some reason, I thought the Indy had a mandatory midnight cap on shows during the week, because of all the nearby neighbors. Maybe they were violating that and they neighbors started complaining? Either way, yeah, that's BS.

Hemlock used to do early shows that started at like 6 and went til 9. I don't know if they still do, but if they don't, somebody should.

Unknown said...

Damn straight! thats why I find myself going to more shows at The Fox. Its not an intimate venue but damnit at least the shows start at a reasonable time. I would love to open a club where the (at least midweek) the shows start at 8, headline on by 9:30 at the latest.

Lisa said...

You had me feeling young at "Lumineers...kids these days." That or I just have really suspect taste in music. Which is probably more likely.

Tamagosan said...

I remember coming out of shows and looking at my watch and proclaiming "Only 12:30?? The night is young! Let's go make mischief." Now, I just perform a mental calculation of how much sleep I'll be able to squeeze in. Adulthood is just lame all-around.

And I know we've been down this road before, but: "People talk through all the bands." UGH. Still? At least nobody uses their distracting and rude devices, right?

I liked that space a lot when it was Levende Lounge and Coda. Good food and then magically turned into a music venue. I should check out B&M but it seems I just hang outside of things these days and park bikes instead of actually going to them...

TK said...

T - You just reminded me, some tool was taking photos of the band WITH AN IPAD. Quadruple fail.

Tamagosan said...

I will pretend I did not read that and put my head back in the sand now.

amy.leblanc said...

i have always had all kinds of gripes with shows, and it's not like i have NEW gripes but the irritation factor of the old gripes is now 10x rougher sandpaper. TALKING THROUGH SHOWS IS NOT COOL.

and so to your last point, i did go see Mike Doughty at the city winery in NYC here last fall. white table cloths. 7pm show. people in business casual. and i will tell you: that ambiance totally sucked too.

le sigh.