Friday, October 26, 2012

World Series Game 2: Nothin But a B Thing

You know those poor misguided people who continue to insist that baseball is....BORING?  Can you imagine such a thing?

Last night's game isn't going to change any of their minds. Unlike Wednesday night's Score-plosion Home-Run-apalooza, last night was more like a Why-Isn't-Anyone-Moving-A-Thon.  Game 1 was cathartic; Game 2 was scientific.  Game 1 was a fight in the schoolyard; Game 2 was a meeting of the Chess Club.  OK, I'm done here. I love a good pitcher's duel as much as the next guy, but I also like it when Things Happen.  Last night's most exciting play was A BUNT THAT DIDN'T ROLL FOUL.

Have you passed out from excitement yet?
I'm not bitching, though.  Giants win 2-0 behind a STELLAR performance from Madison Bumgarner (and THANK GOD we weren't treated to another Tim McCarver exegesis on Bumgarner's hometown of Hickory, North Carolina, and the many many Bumgarners who live within) and scoring two runs in the lamest possible ways, on a double play groundout and a Hunter Pence sacrifice fly.  Hunter Pence!  Even when he does something good, HE STILL MAKES AN OUT.  HUNTER PENCE FEVER:  CATCH IT!!!!!!!

Oh, and the Tigers' starting pitcher Doug Fister got NAILED by a line drive in the head, got up, answered a few questions, correctly responded that he was in 'San Francisco" and it was "Game 2" and then PITCHED FOUR MORE INNINGS.  What the fuck?  You might want to get that looked at, Doug Fister.

In the end, we were left withe scowling visage of Tigers CEO David Dombrowski and a 2-zip lead in the series.


Now we go to Detroit. I don't know what will happen there but I guarantee you will read at least one newspaper story about how gritty and real Detroit is and how the Tigers haven't given up in the face of adversity, just like the citizens of Detroit. And maybe also about how Delmon Young hates Jews.

UPDATE: Here it is!  Thanks, CW Nevius!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, let me say that any blog post that includes a clip from "The Simpsons" is A-OK in my book.

Oh, and this --> "Even when he does something good, HE STILL MAKES AN OUT. HUNTER PENCE FEVER: CATCH IT!!!!!!!"

Ha ha!

Tamagosan said...

Yeah, last night. That was a beautiful thing. Good to weed out the bandwagoners; someone on the couch definitely let the b-word slip. I answered with my standard "If it's boring, you're not paying attention to the rules or have yet to learn them. All in due time." Never mind that we were having a rehearsal dinner for my best friend's wedding, which incidentally is at 5pm on Saturday. I had to actually practice the wedding part at some point and the Giants had a new run both times I stuck my head back into the TV room. So yeah, that's going on the superstitions list...

DVR replays delivered some very painful reenactments of the Fist(er)bump. And the waiting-for-the-foul crew was so much like old men debating the distance of balls in pétanque that I thought I was in France for a hot minute.

Here's to dealing with being far from a TV on Saturday...

me said...

Props to the home plate ump with that awesome "FAIR" finger point...i haven't seen anything that glorious in years..