Monday, October 19, 2009

What I saw at the Treasure Island Music Festival on Saturday

1. A kid in one of those animal suits like the kid in Where the Wild Things Are wears, bouncing around, on E I guess.

2. A lot of drunk teenagers.

3. People in robot costumes being accosted and/or photographed by aforementioned drunk teenagers.


4. Zero beer lines. If every other festival could copy this feature, that would be great. Kthx.

5. About 15 percussionists on stage with Dan Deacon.



The Streets is pretty much the main reason I came. I think he did a pretty good job. The mix was a bit off at the beginning, but it got better. Now that I've seen him live, I'm starting to think that maybe it's harder to pull off his stuff live than I thought.

As you may know, Treasure Island is divided into two days - a more electronica-leaning day on Saturday, and a more rock day Sunday. We went to the rock day Sunday last year and had a wonderful time. This time, still fun (mostly thanks to the great company we were with) but just not the same.

Maybe it's because the crowd skewed a good 10 years younger, or maybe because I'm just more of a rock guy than an electronica guy, but I wouldn't go on Saturday again. I mean, the name of this blog is 40 going on 28, not 40 going on 17. I kept expecting Chris Hansen to pop up.

Mad Men recap tomorrow, maybe, unless I can get enough done this morning.

4 comments:

Tamagosan said...

So glad to know someone else felt old! (I'm 29.) And what was up with not very many people dancing? MSTRKRFT kicked arse, yet I had to search out fellow groovers. Alas...

Was impressed by the shuttle service, though. The SFBC, as usual, did a killer job of watching my bike, too!

TK said...

I'm surprised more people weren't dancing for MSTRKRFT.

The shuttle back was fine, but we had to wait in a 40+ minute line to get the shuttle on the way there. Last year, we just walked onto the bus. I don't know what was up with that.

periqueblend said...

It was a remarkably well organized festival (my 1st time at TI).
I was a little scared by the robots/aliens/ santas and other assorted people in costumes until i was told they were just Flaming Lips fans...

daisy said...

Thank God the beer lines were non-existent. All those hipsters had me chugging beer at an accelerated (even for me) rate.

Also: the robots were scary, but I kind of dug the Where the Wild Things Are costume.