Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Shut up, Rainn Wilson

Rainn Wilson, I hope this is a joke:


Just what every nascent populist movement needs! A wealthy Hollywood actor telling them who can and can't be included on the basis of their personal wealth!

Based on 30 seconds of research, I couldn't determine how much Rainn makes per episode of "The Office," but Steve Carrell apparently made $297,000 per ep, so I think it's safe to say that Rainn is in six figures for a week's work. Not bad! Certainly not "trust fund" money, whatever the fuck that means. I guess there's a New Money exception to the No-Rich-People-at-the-Protest-Rule that Rainn is apparently espousing.

I think the Occupy movement is interesting, if a little unfocused, but anything that calls attention to the yawning income disparities in this country is worthwhile. I don't understand, though, why you shouldn't be allowed to participate if you have a "trust fund." Let's assume that Rainn is using "trust fund" as shorthand for "independently wealthy." Wouldn't you want to see some of those people on your side? They're the people who can actually influence politics. Wouldn't that be a great group to have aligned with you?

So maybe he's joking.

I have some Fun Vacation Snaps to share with you, but I left my camera in the rental and they're UPS Ground-ing to me, so it'll be a few days. Now trying desperately to remember if there are any incriminating pictures on that camera.

1 comment:

Stoney said...

At least he didn't go with the even more cliche "take a shower, hippie."