Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Sort-of New Bar Night edition

Ladies and gentlemen, on the off-chance you haven't seen him, let me introduce you to Celebration Guy, who will now be my go-to guy whenever anything really great happens:



Like I mentioned, I feel somewhat conflicted about celebrating someone's death, so let's forget that's what's going on here for a second and instead focus on the batshit insane, crazy Yosemite Sam-level nuttery on display. How can you not love a guy riding an ATV with an American flag, whooping and firing a pistol into the air? GENIUS. I love you, Celebration Guy.

Hey, I know I haven't had an official New Bar Night in a while, but I have been to a couple of new places that I should catch you up on.

(This actually leads to kind of an existential question - what differentiates "going to a bar I've never been to before" from "New Bar Night"? I think it's a question of intent and quality. I'm already bored by this parenthetical, though, so email me if you want more detail on this.)

(Can you imagine if I did PRIVATE BLOG POSTS for people? Like you could write me and tell me what you wanted to hear about and I'd send you back a blog post about it? I would have to charge for that. If you want a Private Blog Post, email me and we'll work something out. I'm totally kidding. I don't want to do this.)

So I met The Wife at Buck Tavern for happy hour and to watch the end of the Giants game last Friday. A little backstory, if you're not familiar: BT used to be Just Another Bar (apparently - I'd never been there) and the it was bought by former SF Supervisor/Professional Annoyer Chris Daly to, I guess, give him something to do now that he's not pissing people off in SF politics any more. Sure enough, there he was, behind the bar.

Two things about Chris Daly: (1) he is a perfectly friendly, if somewhat slow, bartender, and (2) he is VERY LOUD. This is probably not a surprise. He was conducting various conversations with people around the bar by YELLING AT THEM. This is somewhat disconcerting if you're me and you dislike yelling because it reminds you of your broken childhood home.

Also, and this is also probably not a surprise, the conversations largely concerned San Francisco politics, which makes sense, I guess, but is also so amusing and predictable it's like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World except it's the Pirates of District Six ride and it's really, really boring and instead of ARRRR MATEY it's all WHO'S RUNNING DAVID CHIU'S CAMPAIGN like I give a shit.

He clearly loves it. More power to the guy! I don't begrudge him his thing at all. It's just not for me.

Where else did I go? Oh yeah, the EXACT POLAR OPPOSITE of Buck Tavern, 620 Jones, an elaborate nightclubby kind of place. I usually avoid this kind of scene like it's a leper colony full of fundamentalists, but we have a friend who works there and we went there for happy hour and it was just fine. They have a HUGE fucking porch too that I'm sure is great when it's warm out, like today. But you can close your eyes and just hear the thumpa thumpa music and picture the Affliction and Drakkar Noir around you. Shudder.

(I don't know, maybe it's not that bad. I probably will never find out, though.)

(Definitely check it out for HH, though. And the food looked good. That patio!)

P.S. If you have suggestions for places I should go on New Bar Nights in the future, please leave them in the comments or email them to me or just visualize them REALLY HARD and maybe I'll pick up your vibe with my chakras or something.

5 comments:

generic said...

Can we suggest new places you would hate?

I fell like that would make for better blog.

Tamagosan said...

Wow, CelebrationGuy.

And there's nothing gay about the Buck Tavern? I so wanted it to be gay? Maybe it was? The name just worked for me... I can only imagine having your own bar from which to rant freely! Nobody could kick you out!

As for "New" Bar Night, I'm toying with "hosting" a fuck-yeah-I'm-back-in-Glen-Park evening at The Station. Perhaps rope the stil-mysterious WBTC and BJ into the mix. But now I'm seeing from your later posts that visiting GP might create some serious trauma...

JordanP said...

The Buck is great! My husband and I discovered the giant screen in the back room, complete with couches and coffee table. Since we're too cheap for cable, all our Giants watching happens there, in what we're pretty sure is the best place in the city to watch the game.

Civic Center said...

Loved "Pirates of the District Six," and it's completely accurate.

Anonymous said...

I love your webpage along with it feels really nice from my tip of matter. As well as I was wondering qualification a change cellular phone lookup capacity aid you fix the suspicious people with reference to your web site. Almost certainly we can splurge a phone number search so what time to uncover away beginning home reverse phone lookup weblog concerning your added comments here because well. So act persuaded to facilitate appreciate how with the intention of make a rearrange cell phone search while you're prepared.