Wednesday, November 25, 2009

We went to Waffle House.

Certain members of our party - chiefly those who had grown up in California and Ireland - had never been to a Waffle House, if you can imagine, so we set out to fix that. Waffle House is one of those things that's maybe better through the misty gauze of remembrance than in actuality, but the food did have calories, I'll say that.

Here in this crappy cell-phone pic we see some of the WH product, like the eponymous waffle, which is round and sort of tasteless, accompanied by its Vat O Syrup. The thing to the right of the Vat is hash browns with a slice of American cheese melted on top, to what end, I'm not sure. It's diner food, what are you gonna do. When did this turn into a food blog anyway. What.

(P.S. I posted this same pic on Twitter via Twitpic yesterday and it never showed up and I've got my team working on whether it's Twitter's error or mine so if it showed up for you and you saw this already, mea culpa.)

Anyway, our waitress was an awesome artifact named Tammy who looked like the human incarnation of a pack of Benson and Hedges 100s and provided better service than you'll get at any of your hoity-toity joints with a tuna tartare tower. Hats off to you, Tammy.

(P.P.S. There's a Waffle House Museum? Awesome. ROAD TRIP!!!!)

Then last night we played Taboo and drank more wine and now I'm kind of ready to spend a quiet evening not drinking instead of drinking. Per Dad's instructions, I have to go find pole beans now. THANKSGIVING IS HARD.

5 comments:

Tamagosan said...

The waffle's only purpose is to soak up alcohol in the stomach. At this, it excels.
I've only been to the yellow-lettered palace in West Virginia. Talk about better remembered than lived...

periqueblend said...

I've eaten so much Waffle House in my life that I probably harbor a kernel of vestigial love that will never die. Like my fondness for 'summer' even though I've long since left the school calendar.

Don't go Cracker Barrell. That was the worst meal of my life. Including the food poison pizza from Marcello's in the Castro.

TK said...

You know, I actually don't mind Cracker Barrel all that much. Once a year I can go there.

Now IHOP, don't get me started.

Rocco said...

Cracker Barrel is teh awesome. Meat & 3. 'nuff said.

Anonymous said...

When my wife and I drive through strange lands like I-5 or suburban Colorado, we like to play WWYRE (Where Would You Rather Eat) based on what we see:

- Applebee's or TGIF?
- Waffle House or IHOP?

If you plan your trip correctly you can even turn it into a playoff bracket.

This thread, however, has inspired a completely new category, WWYRG (Where Would You Rather Go):

- Cracker Barrel or Crate & Barrel?
- Bennigan's or Bed Bath & Beyond?