Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm going for my Presidential Fitness Award

In an admirable effort at self-improvement, The Wife started fitness boot camp today. I'm not sure exactly what it entails, but it involves getting up at 5:30 a.m. three days a week and sounds like an awful lot of work. To show solidarity, I decided to start running again, something I haven't done regularly in maybe 5 or 6 years. Actually, definitely 6 years because I went looking for my running shoes and then remembered I left them at the old apartment where I lived with my ex-wife.

So anyway, I decided to start small, with a modest run of 1.5486 miles (according to Gmaps Pedometer). Now, I'm not a total fat tub of lard or anything. I walk a lot just in daily life, and until fairly recently I was doing exercise walks of 3 to 3 1/2 miles at least twice a week. But, as you know, running is different. Anyway, I made it the first 3/4 mile without having to stop and then walked for a bit and then ran the rest of the way home. Did the 1.5 miles in about 18 to 20 minutes. So I obviously need to go farther, because that's not even going to make up for the Egg Beaters, slice of toast, and half a grapefruit I consumed immediately afterward. I guess I need to go for at least 30 minutes at a time to start.

In other news:

- The 2 cases of wine left over from the wedding that I shipped back from my Dad's place arrived totally unscathed. I can recommend the Spirited Shipper for all your wine shipping needs.

- Went to Mini Bar on Saturday night. Everybody says the service there sucks, but we didn't have any problems at all. Seemed fine to me. As advertised, it's pretty small but it wasn't crowded so it felt fine. The only downside was the drunk guy who started a conversation with me by saying "My girlfriend is a bitch" and explained that she was mad because he has been doing blow at the Cal game. Who does blow at a football game anyway?

- Man, is Mad Men getting good now or what? What a great fucking show. (SPOILER ALERT If you haven't seen the last 2 episodes and you get all freaked out if you know what's going to happen stop reading now.) We were just positive that baby was going to be stillborn, so that was kind of a disappointment. And was grandpa dying just a huge deux ex machina because that plot wasn't going anywhere? I don't get it. And you just know Don is going to bang that teacher. Just a matter of time. Also, January Jones, sigh.

2 comments:

The Sonia Show said...

During last night's "Mad Men" I turned to my boyfriend and asked, "When did Mad Men turn into Twin Peaks?"

All these weird little stories and dream sequences ... I'm waiting for Agent Dale Cooper to show up at Sterling Cooper.

TK said...

Dream sequences always kind of suck, I think. Those hospital scenes sure were full of dread, though!