so anyway what DO you like about your mass transit system
— Lindsey (@Lahlahlindsey) April 10, 2014
I know it's E-Z 'n fun to rag on Muni. We all do it all the time. I do it all the time. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, if the fish were Somewhere You Needed to Be on Time and the barrel was a Ghost Bus or a Slow Down & Pull Away or a Sorry This Bus Is Being Taken Out of Service Please Get Off the Bus There Will Be Another Bus Coming Soon.
And still. I have to begrudgingly admit that the bus I take to work gets me from a corner near my house to a corner near my work in 18 minutes and does it almost without fail 5 times a week. Same thing on the way home, except it's faster now that the 5L express line exists. That's pretty great! Plus I can ride the 33 from my neighborhood and be in the Mission in around a half hour AND on the way get treated to some pretty killer views going over Twin Peaks.
In fact, in my personal experience, Muni works pretty well maybe 80% of the time. The other 20% is where we all live, of course. No one wants to hear "I had a pleasant and quiet bus ride and arrived at my destination safely and without incident." You aren't going to get on Porchlight with that story. Drunk lunatic raving about the End Times and drinking out of a paper bag, now that's a Muni story.
I like the old trains on the F Market line.
|Photo via SFGate|
I used to like the paper FastPasses; R.I.P. paper FastPasses.
I like the democratizing effect. There's a cross-section of SF on Muni.
That's about it, I guess.