Monday, March 4, 2013

You finally lost me, San Francisco Chronicle

I bought the San Francisco Chronicle every day when it was 25 cents during the week and, I think, 75 cents or a dollar on Sunday.  Then it was 35 cents, then 50, and lately 75 cents.  I stopped buying the Sunday paper a couple of years ago when it seemed like it changed every Sunday - No magazine! OK, here's your magazine back! No Datebook!  Different Datebook! And on and on - and also it's really not worth it at $3.  But I was still faithfully plunking down (well, feeding into a newspaper box) 75 cents a day.  I like the tangible, physical paper.  I like holding it.  I like reading the Sporting Green while I eat lunch.  I don't have an iPad and reading it on a computer screen while I eat is unwieldy.  ANYWAY, no more.


Are you fucking kidding me, San Francisco Chronicle?  A fucking DOLLAR?  For a paper that is just a shell of what it used to be?  That's it, I'm out.  We are done here.  I could do 75 cents a day but, I will freely admit, there is a psychological barrier to adding on that extra quarter.  I just cannot pay a dollar a day for Debra Saunders' ill-informed ranting or Chuck Nevius' whatever that thing is that Chuck Nevius does.  It's been a nice 23 years, Chronicle, but we are done.  Good luck at your new price point.

(Incidentally, this is a photo of the newsrack in front of the courthouse at McAllister and Polk.  Usually it's empty by 8:30 a.m.  Not today.  Plenty of razor-thin Monday Chronicles for sale today.  Looks like I'm not the only one who's finished here.)

5 comments:

Michael Strickland said...

Welcome to the club. I forget the actual trigger for my decision, but about 15 years ago I made the same vow never to actually buy that supremely provincial, shitty newspaper ever again, even though I prefer reading print to digital any day of the week.

GG said...

Wow. For many years I had it delivered every morning to my driveway, and read it on the train. I gave up delivery when I moved to SF and didn't have a long BART commute anymore. But it has still pained me to see the precipitous decline in quality. Sad to think that the (relatively) high-quality reading you got 10 years ago for 25 cents is now available in for 4x the price and about 15% of the quality.

Tamagosan said...

I'll not defend my Chronicle addiction other than to say that home delivery is a steal, esp. since you can negotiate WAY down from their printed subscription prices. Bonus: The bag it comes in is a great dog poop bag.

Blogger said...

Teeth Night Guard is selling personalized fitting and highest quality custom made teeth guards.

Blogger said...

If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you got to watch this video
right away...

(VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?