Monday, February 1, 2010

Playing the numbers

As it happens, The Wife and I are gonna be in Boston Massachusetts the first week in April, and we've got our minds set on seeing a Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway. Now, they open the season Sunday night April 4, but the game's at 8 pm and peeps will be drinking all day and I don't really want to go to a season opener with 40,000 shitfaced Bostonians plus it's really expensive so we're going to the next game, which is Tuesday, April 6, at 7:10 p.m.

So I've been scouting StubHub for tickets for the last week or so. When I first started looking, the cheapest tix on there were about $110 apiece. Now they've fallen a little, to $88 apiece (as of today). It's a little like playing the stock market. My gut is to wait a little longer and see if they go down some more. That's what I should do, right? I don't want to buy at $120 and then see better seats next week for $100.

Or we could just pay $362 apiece and sit in Field Box 48, Row J, but how about no fucking way.

Like you care, but after Boston, we're going to NYC, Washington, and Richmond, VA, so you've got that little travelogue to look forward to.

Went to the new Rosamunde on Mission and it was pretty fucking great. Unlike the Haight Street branch we all grew up in, this one has seats and they have fries and 21 beers on tap and shit like that.

Also stopped by Heart, a new wine bar/restaurant/art gallery thing on Valencia near 24th. Very sleek what with all the art and the wine in mason jars and what have you. Cool spot, although I can't see hanging out there for a long time and also they need more art. Still, interesting selection/variety of wines. Will do business again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You taking the train? If so, do yourself a favor and stop in New Haven for a couple of hours on your way there/back.

Take a cab to Wooster Street and go to Pepe's and get yourselves a clam pie (and a pepperoni while you're at it, trust me, you'll finish both).

TK said...

I was all psyched about taking the train, but it's, on average, TWICE as expensive as flying, so we're probably just flying from place to place.

You'd think it would be cheaper, but you'd be wrong.

toddx said...

I can't wait to go to the new Rosamunde. Was it packed?

Anonymous said...

I just did the Amtrak ride from NYC to Boston, and I gotta say it was really great. I think once you factor in taxi fare to airport and general airport hassle/depression, train is the way to go.

Seems to me that Fenway tickets might actually be cheapest now or in next few weeks when everyone's focussed on superbowl and spring training hasn't started yet, (just a guess, though).

I went to high school 20 min walk from Fenway and we used to go after school, walk up to the gate right before games and buy bleacher tickets for $6. Of course, this was when the team sucked in the early 90s. It's amazing how much things have changed.

TK said...

@ToddX -

Not packed at all at 6:30 on a Saturday!

@Mockduck -

Maybe we'll take another look at the train. Thx for the input.

TK said...

To all interested parties:

You'll be happy to know that I just booked us onto the train from Boston to New York. I had misread the price, which was actually was TWO people, not one, so it's the same as flying. Probably about the same amount of time (4 hrs) when you count getting to the airport, too.

And tons more fun, right?

Anonymous said...

A bar car makes ANYTHING more fun.