Wednesday, February 17, 2010

God's really letting me down with the extras these days

A couple of years ago, The Wife (back when she was Super Hot Irish Girlfriend) told me she got perturbed because she saw a girl that she used to see on the bus all the time in a totally different place and it was jarring and her theory was that God only has a set number of extras to fill the crowd roles in the movie of your life and He was obviously running low that day and so Bus Girl had to double as Girl in Front of Starbucks on Market or whatever.

So tell me about this.

This morning I'm working out in my gym at 6:00 a.m. because that's how I roll and in comes this guy I've never seen before but who clearly is a little off. He wears wraparound sunglasses the whole time and is basically just kind of acting strangely. Like he stands around near the machines without using them but then he's examining his key chain very closely and maybe talking into it like it's a cell phone. I wasn't paying really close attention but that's what it looked like. Anyway, I left.

(I should point out at this juncture that my gym is generally pretty mellow and I see basically the same 5 people every time I go there. So that's why this guy kind of stood out.)

OK, fast forward to about 8:00 a.m. when I'm coming up from Civic Center Station. Not to get too stalkerrific, but I'll just say that Civic Center is a fair distance from my hood. So I come up to street level and THERE HE IS, wearing the exact same clothes and the same wraparound shades but this time he's accessorized with a 40-ouncer in a paper bag. I did like a quadruple take and then went on my way.

So WTF? I guess winos need to work out too. It was all just a bit...odd.

(Post Script - If your main takeaway from this is TK GOES TO A GYM AND WORKS OUT??? I can't blame you. I'm just as surprised to be doing it as you are to be reading it.)

2 comments:

Skance said...

And in the interest of full disclosure, I believe I saw a comedian make the point about extras in your life, so I didn't invent that or anything. But I did run with it and have frequently used it. And I think it was some "Comedy Central" special with some unknown anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, it's mine. *sorry unknown comedian*

Rachel said...

Perhaps you are being followed by a very bad private detective who doesn't know anything about being stealthy?