Friday, July 24, 2009

Weakerthans @ Great American Music Hall

You ever go to one of those shows where you know every single song? I went to one last night, and it was fucking awesome. Well, actually there was one song I didn't know, but that's not really the point.

The Weakerthans are a band from Winnipeg, Canada, with what I judge to be an intense, cultlike following, in the States, anyway. Last night they packed Great American Music Hall (capacity 600) and put on a phenomenal show.

(Aside: I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to be a fan of a lot of bands that have a small, intense, cultlike following, like The Loud Family and The Wrens. I don't know what that means.)



I think John Samson might be one of the greatest lyricists working today, and definitely one of the best songwriters. The band played a selection of stuff from all the albums, making it kind of like a greatest hits show, which was fine by me. You know you've got a good fanbase when people are singing your lyrics back to you. That must be a fucking rush.

Anyway, if you're not familiar, I urge you to check them out. Start with Reconstruction Site. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

UPDATE: I don't know why "Comments" isn't appearing for this post, but since you guys can't leave comments, I'll leave them for you.

Best post ever! Great job, TK!

Yay, Weakerthans! Yay, TK! A match made in heaven!

If you only read one blog post this year, make it this one! Bravo, TK!

Show her the night of her life! FREE C1al1s and v1aGra!!!

2 comments:

idrumgood said...

Oh man, I love the Weakerthans. Definitely agree with Reconstruction site as the album to start with.

I would have loved to see that show, but I am going to see The Wrens tonight at Schubas here in Chicago!

TK said...

Oh, I guess comments work now.

@Urgack -

Lucky dog! Around here, Wrens and Weakerthans shows are both rare events. We actually drove to LA once just to see the Wrens.

@lagot -

Thanks very much!