Monday, February 16, 2009

Pass me the Punt e mes

Saturday we got a break in the rain, so Super Hot Irish Girlfriend and I took Leland to Crissy Field. With a long beach, incredible views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and ample parking - which, in SF, is basically like getting free money - it's an awesome place for a dog. Leland fucking loves it.

This is what a chihuahua-terrier mix coming at you at about 40 mph looks like:

Saturday was, of course, Valentine's Day. One of us forgot to get the other one a card. It's in the past now and there's no need to dwell upon this tired subject.

Anyway, a good way to make up for a mistake like that is an expensive meal, and boy, we sure had one at Farina in the Mission. The food was good and the service was great and everything but it is absurdly overpriced. Like $22 for some pasta with pesto sauce. Like dot-com overpriced. I enjoyed it enough, but I would never go back.

One good thing came out of it - I discovered an unbelievably good cocktail. It had Hangar One kaffir lime vodka, an Italian sweet vermouth called Punt e mes, pineapple juice, and maybe something else. I'm contemplating sinking the $50 into all the speciality liquors this will require to make at home because I want one EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

One other funny story from the weekend. Last night at Bloodhound I ran into this couple I'd met there the last time. I was talking to the guy and I realized he was wearing a t-shirt from Dolan's Pub in Limerick, where SHIG grew up. As it turns out, his brother had studied in Ireland and they had hung out in Limerick. Small world, huh? Well, I didn't say it was a hilarious story. Oh, never mind.

No comments: