Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Other than the Santa picture, everything in this post involves an open bar.

Let's get meta for a second.

I got this email invitation to attend the SF Appeal's Christmas Holiday Party, which is tonight. And at first I was all "THAT'S RIGHT THEY HAVE INVITED ONLY THOUGHT LEADERS TO THIS EVENT" and then I quickly realized that they were promoting it on their front page and it's free and there's free booze so basically anyone who can operate a mouse and read at a 5th grade level could figure out how to go and drink up all the free booze. Just imagine your party overrun with the people you see using the free Internet terminals at the library. I'm sure it won't be like that. Maybe.

Point being that I've been doing this blogging thing for about a year and a half now and I've got a pretty steady readership and have been linked to, in the past, by such local luminary sites as SFist and SF Citizen and Eye on Blogs and Beth Spotswood even put a permalink to me on her blog. So I'm sort of part of this community of local bloggers, I guess, even though it's pretty much just an online thing and so far I've kept my Real World and my Blogging World separate, save for one exception, when I met JohnnyO from Burrito Justice. Super nice guy.


So I'm like "Do I want to become public? Like actually meet some of these people for real?" And The Wife said, "What are you going on about now? I was watching Vampire Diaries." And I said "Never mind."


So I don't know. The Wife and I are going out to our Special Christmas Date Night Dinner and we'll play it by ear after that. I guess, worse comes to worse, it'll just be another party where I don't know anyone that I crashed for the free booze. We'll see.


IN OTHER NEWS, this is now my favorite Christmas picture of all time.


When I have kids, I'm going to blow this up to poster size and hang it behind the tree every Christmas. It is five kinds of awesome.

OH ONE OTHER THING I HAVE TO MENTION -

As you may have gathered, I'm not exactly the dance club type. Thumpa thumpa music kind of makes me want to kill myself. Thus, of course, I've never been to Suite 181 or any of its ilk. And THE LAST PLACE IN THE FUCKING WORLD I would go on New Year's Eve is a place like that.

But wait. I saw this ad and Suite 181 has limited $40 advance tickets available for theie NYE thing, which includes, according to them, "OPEN BAR ALL NIGHT."

WHOA. HOLD THE PHONE, BIG MAN. That means I pay $40 and drink whatever I want all night? I can make that $40 back in an hour. Are you sure? What's the catch? What am I missing?

Because if there's no catch, you might find me in an Ed Hardy shirt with a shitload of gel in my hair and covered in Axe body spray this New Year's Eve. When in Rome.

5 comments:

Beth Spotswood said...

You'll know me! I promise to be very nice and starstruck...

I hope you both make it!

Rocco said...

i love vampire diaries.

periqueblend said...

I'm surprised, knowing what you know about free, bars, and the human condition, that you think the free open bar party will still contain alcohol that late in the evening.

(text me if it does - i'll swoop in like in like was I was looking for Elian Gonzales)

Anonymous said...

TK is as sardonically clever in person as he is online. (But even if he had been anti-social and awkward, there *was* beer and pizza involved.)

In general all of the bloggers I have met have been cool (TK, Allan, Brock, EveB, MuniDiaries Jeff, Guero/Nuño) as we have all made the decision (for good or for bad) that we think we have something interesting to say and are willing to put it out there.

But I bet there's an interesting chart to be made on a blogger's ability to deliver wit/humor/interesting content per unit time. Some folks are capable of doling it in realtime while others need time to edit/gather.

generic said...

Dude ... I just heard. Man ... I am so sorry. I don't know what to say.

Conversation Rape is so much more common in our culture than people want to admit. I know you have friends & family to help you get through this. It's gonna take a while to get back to "normal".

Did you tell her to stop? (Nevermind, I shouldn't have asked.) They carry ConvoRape kits behind the counter at Longs. The Kwy-It™ brand is great--comes with a white noise CD, some earbuds and a fifth of bourbon.

Just know that it's not your fault. (Unless you were totally asking for it. What were you wearing?)