Monday, August 25, 2008

Didn't do / Did do

Here’s a quick roundup of what I haven’t been doing:

- I didn’t go to any of the Outside Lands festival. After receiving multiple reports of Muni hell, insane crowds, half-hour waits in the beer line, and the presence of Jack Johnson, I just decided to say fuck it. As it turns out, I heard that Sunday, the day we were going to go, was maybe better, but still. Anyway, we’re going to the Treasure Island fest in a few weeks, so that’ll be my Summer Festival Experience.

- I didn’t really watch the Olympics. I guess some people really get into it, but I’m not one of them. I don’t know why. It just doesn’t do anything for me.

- I didn’t go to any Giants games over the weekend, even though it sounds like the kids are alright.

Here’s what I have been doing:

- Ate at Fresca Saturday night with Super Hot Irish Girlfriend. Man, Fresca is really good.

- Saw Pineapple Express on Sunday. It was OK. There were definitely some laughs, but the pairing of stoner buddy comedy and pervasive extreme violence is a bit off-putting. It reminded me of Superbad in the sense that it uses romantic comedy framing and conventions, in a way, to tell the story of best friends. You know, they meet, they face adversity and separate, then they’re reunited. Apatow seems really into the idea of best friends as the most important bond in the universe.

Also, what's up with the guy at the movies who constantly repeats the last line of dialogue back at the screen? WTF? Luckily we were far enough away that I didn't have a complete meltdown/freakout, but still. ANNOYING.

1 comment:

Rocco said...

you seem to have a real aversion to jack johnson.