Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I feel so alive!


I’m not drinking right now. No, there wasn’t any big thing like the first chapter of Augusten Burroughs’ "Dry” or anything like that. It was just that I felt kind of saturated after the holiday weekend and just needed a little time off.

And I do mean “a little.” I’m just taking off until my trip back to the ancestral homeland next week.

Like I’ve said before, it’s no big deal. I’m not craving alcohol or anything. It’s just boring. What it makes you realize (and by “you,” I mean “me”) is how much of your social life involves alcohol in one way or another. Going out to dinner means a bottle of wine (and, more often than not, going to a bar afterwards). Band practice means PBR. And then maybe going to a bar afterwards. Nice weather means Zeitgeist. Meeting up with friends? Bar. Cooking dinner at home? Wine. And then before you know it, you’re drinking 4 or 5 nights a week.

The thing is, drinking is fun. Remember the old awning over Shanghai Kelly’s on Polk? It said “Drinking Makes You Witty.” It’s kinda true. There’s a fun social aspect to drinking that can’t be denied. And, as everyone who lives here knows, San Francisco is a drinking city. Always been that way. One of the best things about living here is the ability to go out and not have to worry about driving, since there’s always Muni or cabs and it’s a fairly compact city.

So don’t mourn for me, my friends. I’ll be OK. Super Hot Irish Girlfriend (who, BTW, is also on board) and I will watch movies and take walks and do whatever it is you do when you’re not drinking.

I promise you, I will not post any “I really got in touch with myself” bullshit. Just don’t expect the blog posts to be as interesting for the next week or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaahhh!! I am on the sober boat also,for a rest.Gonna go for a month and see what happens (or doesnt).So lots of going to the cinema,cooking etc.
I hope i dont turn into "Fun Bobby"..
and before you ask,it applies to gigs too so here we go...