Wednesday, February 11, 2009

You should listen to this

Like every good white urban overeducated liberal, I'm hooked on This American Life. Since I don't listen to the radio much, and I really have no idea when the show is even on, I usually just download the podcast (free, BTW, although I kicked down $25 recently when they were asking for donations because it's totally worth it) every week and listen to it on my iPod on the way to and from work.

That's right. An overeducated white man listening to the podcast of "This American Life" on his iPod while taking mass transit to work in San Francisco. I AM YOUR WORST FUCKING NIGHTMARE, RUSH LIMBAUGH.

ANYWAY. They're all good, but I have to say that last week's show, entitled "The Ghost of Bobby Dunbar" was so good and thought-provoking and incredible that it could be turned into a movie without any major changes. IN FACT, the story (which is true) bears some resemblance to "The Changeling," another true story, in that they both involve boys who go missing and the boys who then turn up might not be the same boys who went missing.

I don't want to get into the whole plot, but it really is an amazing story and the voices! The Voices that tell the story are mostly Mississippi ladies of a certain age and their accents alone will kill you. They're awesome. You can download it at the link above for free for the next few days. Do it. You won't regret it. Plus, I want to talk to somebody about it.

What's the other thing I was thinking about? Oh yeah, pitchers and catchers report in 3 days. Baseball is almost upon us again! Huzzah.

2 comments:

Rocco said...

"Plus, I want to talk to somebody about it." hahahaha. i have that too.

Rachel said...

Love that episode, TK!
It's probably in my top 10. I also love the House at Loon Lake episode... That's one I can listen to over and over again and still get chills....